Sunday, September 29, 2013

Quick and Easy Girl's Cape

Whew...I haven't posted in forever. I have been way behind on taking photos and you'll see, the ones I do have aren't great. But, I have been doing a lot of sewing, mainly for kids and have a few things to show you in the days ahead. The first is the cute and easy cape that I recently made for two little girls' birthdays. The two girls are sisters and ages 2 and 4. This cape pattern fits that age range and I thought it would be fun to have something that was matching (while they still allow that to happen) for the upcoming cooler weather. I made two capes in a couple hours and had a nice little gift for the party (which may or may not have been on the same day as I was sewing!!!)

I chose a thin corduroy from my stash (I think I found it at Walmart) and a pink lining fabric from Hancock. It is a fun and loud pattern and I think it looks cute together. I do whatever I can to avoid sewing buttonholes so this was made using an elastic loop for the button instead of a hole.

To do that, I simply added a piece of elastic (roughly 4 inches long) folded it in half and pinned it at the front top corner prior to pinning the lining on. Then once the lining was put on and it was turned right side out, I had the little loop closure to use for a button. 

 Here are a couple pictures of my daughter modeling this...moments before we left for the party!

It is great for throwing on top of your outfit on a cool day. I hope the little girls who received them are enjoying them! 


Thursday, September 5, 2013

Ruffle Apron

Sorry I have been a little behind on getting a post up. I have been having some sewing blues lately...lots of projects not working out the way I want them too :( I hate when that happens. But I have also had some finding out I won the sew along at Project Sewn. Thank you again to the lovely ladies for the great prizes.

This week I stumbled across a sew along over at See Kate Sew for a ruffled apron. You can see all the details HERE.

When I saw this apron I knew I wanted to make one. Especially after I saw Sew Caroline's take on it.  How adorable is that apron? So, I dug through my stash and of course found nothing that would work. Either no coordinating color combos or not enough material...ughhh, but I decided to try it anyway using a scrap of Joel Dewberry Modern Meadow fabric. In order to make it work, I had to omit the top portion of the pattern. But I plan on making another with the top soon...just need to go buy some cute fabric.
 I added the ruffle detail to the pocket and the hemline. By making a half apron, I did not need as wide a piece of material since I was not gathering it to attach it to the bodice. So my piece was about 35 by 20 instead of the 44 by 20.

 I hope to make another full version soon. And, hopefully I will have more projects that turn out soon so I can get more posts up :)